Fabric laid out and another helper.....
Friday, 18 April 2014
I decided to cut out my pattern pieces and had a bit of company.
Having tried the bit on the table she thought the bit that had fallen on the floor looked a bit more comfy.
Princess looking on from the rocking chair.
Settling down after scrunching it up to her liking.
Tuesday, 15 April 2014
Thursday, 10 April 2014
First, thanks everyone for your concern over Rupert's tail, he doesn't seem at all bothered by it and I'm living in hopes that the fur returns as the vets bill that will ensue if he requires surgery will not be small, but lets be positive and hope its okay.
This post has been mulled over for a while as I wan't sure if I wanted to share my doppelganger with you, but I've decided to take the plunge and show you her.
Back a few years I used to make virtually all of my own clothes from dresses to nightwear and outdoor coats and loved it, but as time has gone by (and I don't know how this has happened,) I seem to have grown in size and making clothes is a chore as I can never get a fit.
Trolling around the web the other day I came across a method of making a dressmaking form to your own size with duct tape and set about making one for myself.
This entails standing in an old t shirt or dress and your accomplice, in this case it was Tom, layering the tape over your body. Once covered it is cut up the back and stuffed. You can find details on the web if you look.
What we ended up with a replica Briony and I have to say I think there has been a mistake somewhere along the line because I am sure I am not this big......
Here she is covered in a shawl, because if you saw the actual body you might have to take to your bed for the rest of the day. I had to cover her up as I just couldn't stand to look at it every time I came into the workroom, it was so awful, at one stage I considered putting it on the floor and stamping on it, but that would have been a bit childish wouldn't it?
Can I really be that big ? but alas I have taken a tape measure and compared my size to the model and it is accurate, SOB
Here you can see the duct tape, you're certainly not seeing any more. lol
I mounted it on a smaller stand and stuffed it firmly with wadding.
Now all I have to do is try making something and see if it works.
Wednesday, 9 April 2014
About three weeks ago I accidentally trod on Ruperts tail, it left a lump of fur on the carpet and I didn't think I'd done any harm.
He refused to talk to me for about 2 days running and hiding when ever I went near to him. I had to lay down by the bedside and coax him out for tickles but eventually he got over it and we were the best of friends again thank goodness.
Yesterday we noticed that the end of his bushy tail was looking a bit thin and on inspection found that about an inch of tail was hairless and looked a bit dry, of course it was straight along to the vet who at first thought it might be ringworm but on my telling him that I trod on the tail some time ago he thinks it might be broken.
The picture makes it look a bit gruesome and worse than it was as the vet removed all of the fur, there was a poodle puff on the end when he went in the surgery, but it doesn't actually look bad at all at the moment.
We have to keep a close eye on it and see what happens, if the fur starts to regrow and the bare tail doesn't show any signs of change it seems that it will be okay but if the end starts to look odd or change in any way we could be looking at an amputation of the end of his tail. Apparently it all depends if the blood is still flowing to the tip or not and only time will tell.
So, keep your fingers crossed for him and me that the fur regrows or we shall be looking at a hefty vets bill.
Thursday, 3 April 2014
This scrumble wall hanging was started way back last August, it has been worked on and then neglected alternately according to how I have felt, sometimes crafty and sometimes can't be bothered, I'm sure you know what I mean, we all go there don't we?
But its now finished and hanging on the wall.
The backing is a very stiff piece of calico with some added thick Vilene.
Here you see it in the process of being made up.
I made a deepish hem top and bottom and we bought a length of baton.
Cut to fit and threaded it through sewing the ends shut afterwards.
Then it was just a matter of stitching the scrumble onto the canvas.
The good thing about having it on the wall is that every time I look at it, it makes me want to make another, that has to be good hasn't it?
Please feel free to enlarge and enjoy.
Monday, 31 March 2014
Remember the Cyclamen and Primula that I bought way back at the beginning of January well they are still going strong and look as good as ever. I shall definitely buy these again next year as they have made such a difference to the look of the garden this winter, and now with the daffs all coming out the Bijou garden is looking lovely.
The rose at the front is our 50th wedding anniversary rose and will go in the large white pot when the daffs are over.
Primulas looking as good as ever.
Quiet corner, the kitchen chair is waiting for a lick of blue paint, another job for Tom.
These make the garden smell wonderful in the early morning and evening.
And the marvellous 'Blue Angel Clematis' is yet again making its way up to the arch above. This plant never disappoints and always has an abundance of blooms that go through the Summer.
Thanks to everyone who commented on the circular whisker, I still can't believe it when I look at the photo. I was so lucky to catch him before he rubbed it apart.