Tuesday, 14 January 2014

AT LAST A LOVELY DAY FOR A WALK.

On Saturday (bit late posting )  we awoke to bright sunshine and not a cloud in the sky, so we thought we'd better make hay while the sun shined and get out.
We chose Stanmer Park, a large area of parkland and woods with a small farming village in the centre.
This was once a thriving farming community but like lots of places  it has almost been  abandoned.  Just a few cows and a couple of horses remain.
I remember when the children were small it was full of milking cows and we used to watch through the door at the cows being milked.
There was a small shop / post office / cafe used by visitors and locals, very down to earth and basic.
A mug of tea on an old wooden bench outside was great.
It has since been taken over by some enterprising person who has completely changed it and erected colourful unbrellas and doubled the price of the drinks.
That's progress ??


The entrance is between 2 cottages and I assume that they were once the gate keepers homes.

Up a long drive where you can see the church spire in the distance.
The road is flanked with large areas of grass and woodland.
This pretty little flint church was built in 1838 but sadly is not in use today.
It is still open for viewing but not for services.
In the grave yard of this church there is a really ancient yew tree.  I have tried to find out how old it is without much luck but it must be really old, there's not a lot of trunk left and the inside is hollow as you can see in the next few pics.

How wonderful nature is.  There is literally only the outside of the trunk left and yet it is supporting an enormouse tree. 




If you look closely you can see a man actually inside the centre of the tree, my Man...


And me giving a friendly wave , lol

 Easy to get into but not so easy to get out of...I thought it best not to post my posterier emerging, it might frighten the children.....


Just around the corner from the church is this weather vane that gives some indication of the building it sits upon.

 In this beautiful little house is a donkey wheel where a poor old donkey used to toil in the large wheel to bring up the water from the well.
 All in all, we had a really nice day, a sample of what's to come we hope.





12 comments:

  1. That tree is so very unique!
    And so are you ;-), love those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a great place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how beautiful this place is and no telling how old that tree is what fun , ibet you feel like a little fairy inside the tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing old yew tree.
    Have you ever seen the one in the graveyard at Much Marcle in Herefordshire? It has a seat inside!

    A lovely place to walk , especially as it has so many happy memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely day. I could see all kinds of things in that gnarled and twisted yew trunk (that probably says a lot about me and my vivid imagination!). A very special place indeed.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks absolutely lovely! Is there a 'Yew Tree' society in the UK.When I was in Leicestershire I went on a tour of a church ..I'm sure the guide mentioned something like that.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful tree and sounds like you had a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful walk you had
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tree is wonderful, I want to hug it :o))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Briony, I said I'd visit and I'm so glad I did - I love your blog! I must say for someone who's been married for 50 years you are looking good on it! I love that little house, poor donkeys though!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm ashamed to say that I've never visited Stanmer. Some of those old Yews are really amazing.

    ReplyDelete