Thursday, 10 April 2014

DOPPELGANGER

First, thanks everyone for your concern over Rupert's tail, he doesn't seem at all bothered by it and I'm living in hopes that the fur returns as the vets bill that will ensue if he requires surgery will not be small, but lets be positive and hope its okay.

This post has been mulled over for a while as I wan't sure if I wanted to share my doppelganger with you, but I've decided to take the plunge and show you her.

Back a few years I used to make virtually all of my own clothes from dresses to nightwear and outdoor coats and loved it, but as time has gone by (and I don't know how this has happened,) I seem to have grown in size and making clothes is a chore as I can never get a fit.

Trolling around the web the other day I came across a method of making a dressmaking form to your own size with duct tape and set about making one for myself.
This entails standing in an old t shirt or dress and your accomplice, in this case it was Tom, layering the tape over your body.  Once covered it is cut up the back and stuffed.  You can find details on the web if you look.

What we ended up with a replica Briony and I have to say I think there has been a mistake somewhere along the line because I am sure I am not this big......


Here she is covered in a shawl, because if you saw the actual body you might have to take to your bed for the rest of the day.  I had to cover her up as I just couldn't stand to look at it every time I came into the workroom, it was so awful, at one stage I considered putting it on the floor and stamping on it, but that would have been a bit childish wouldn't it?


Can I really be that big ?  but alas I have taken a tape measure and compared my size to the model and it is accurate,  SOB
Here you can see the duct tape, you're certainly not seeing any more. lol
I mounted it on a smaller stand and stuffed it firmly with wadding.
Now all I have to do is try making something and see if it works.

16 comments:

  1. you make me laugh, and I use to make my own clothes too, I tell my daughters it is like dressing a large egg nothing looks the same, I think I should pay a thin woman to walk around and say she is me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!
    I made one of those too and within a few days destroyed it!
    I'll send you an email with further details...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I salute your bravery! Anyway my husband says he likes a curvy gal (thankfully) and I suspect, so does Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a talented lady you are! I'm looking forward to seeing the clothes that you make on your new Briony (even if she isn't your best friend right now!) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. She does look rather stylish, though!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. laughed all the way through this. i don't sew but i need incentive to stop eating and lose some weight, so if i rob a bank to buy enough duct tape to do this, i could sit it in the kitchen so i would see it every time i go in there... i have to calculate how many miles of tape i need... and if the check book will allow it. it would be cheaper than Nutrisystem. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. came back to say this is one of my most favorite of all your post. I sent it to a couple friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doppelganger looks lovely swathed in her shawl ... and I salute your bravery. I have never had the courage to make a dress form. May she prove to be a faithful dressmaking friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic idea.

    I use to lay my children on the cloth and cut around them!

    We all find ways to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a brave girl for showing us, but really it looks kind of normal to me, not as bad as you think. None of us are skinny minnies as we get older, and this just looks like the normal senior. But GOSH, just think how cool you are! You have made your own dressmaking form! Next may be Project Runway, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a cool project and I think it looks rather stylish in the shawl you have given it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous idea and your telling of the tale is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a good idea, it will making fitting the garments so much easier, I too used to make my clothes but since I found embroidery and patchwork have lost all interest in what I wear, in fact have lots of things going back to the late 80`s

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its the silver colour that makes it look too big, I'm sure. I'm pretty sure I'd look awful dressed in all silver.

    I've thought of making one of these.I'm not sure I trust myself to do it right, so I'll just have to hold out for my dream dressmaker's form!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha-ha! Okay, if laughter is the best medicine, then I have had just the right dosage with this post. I laughed all the way through it. You are hilarious! Happy sewing! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am never making one of those, I really couldn't bear to see my shape in all its glory or should I say gory!

    ReplyDelete