Wednesday, 9 April 2014

TAIL TRAUMA



About three weeks ago I accidentally trod on Ruperts tail, it left a lump of fur on the carpet and I didn't think I'd done any harm.
He refused to talk to me for about 2 days running and hiding when ever I went near to him.  I had to lay down by the bedside and coax him out for tickles but eventually he got over it and we were the best of friends again thank goodness.

Yesterday we noticed that the end of his bushy tail was looking a bit thin and on inspection found that about an inch of tail was hairless and looked a bit dry, of course it was straight along to the vet who at first thought it might be ringworm but on my telling him that I trod on the tail some time ago he thinks it might be broken.



The picture makes it look a bit gruesome and worse than it was as the vet removed all of the fur,  there was a poodle puff on the end when he went in the surgery, but it doesn't actually look bad at all at the moment.

We have to keep a close eye on it and see what happens, if the fur starts to regrow and the bare tail doesn't show any signs of change it seems that it will be okay but if the end starts to look odd or change in any way we could be looking at an amputation of the end of his tail.  Apparently it all depends if the blood is still flowing to the tip or not and only time will tell.

So, keep your fingers crossed for him and me that the fur regrows or we shall be looking at a hefty vets bill.

17 comments:

  1. poor you and poor Rupert. i will have to be more careful. i had done that with both dogs and never really thought about it could break the tail. yowsa on the vet bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. title could also be Trauma Tale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah ,poor boy.
    Duncan wants to tell Rupert that he has a kink in his tail from when it was broken.It gives him character...as it will Rupert.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little guy! Purrs that fur appears soon and all's well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will keep my fingers crossed for Rupert. He sounds as though he's been coping well with it after the initial surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am SO sorry!!! Do you think it hurts, and does he have pills for pain? I never heard of broken tails or operations. But I can see how they need it if no blood flow to the tip. Keep us posted. Today we are also dealing with our cat, he is sick. If it continues this week, the vet said an ultra sound, $300.00!!! It may come to a bad decision. We lost his brother last year, and he has never really been the same since.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about poor Rupert. Cats have nine lives but apparently only one tail. Hopping it will heal with no problems.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's hopes that Rupert's tail will regrow it's hair and all will be well.
    I'm glad he is no longer upset with you. Kitties thankfully forgive their Moms and Dads with the help of love (and special treats).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, poor guy. I'll say a prayer for Rupert's tail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my......so sorry for both you and Rupert,
    I have my fingers firmly creossed. A shorter tail would not be a tragedy but the vet bill....not a good thing.

    Love, Lo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch... Tails crossed that everything will be o.k. in the end... Love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Rupert, do hope the blood flows to the end. I had a cat Chelsea from an animal rescue centre with only half a tail and no miaw such a delight she lived to be 16.
    We have a cat down the street that has had to have a leg amputated following the owner treading on it but it runs around as though it still has 4 legs amazing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh poor Rupert. I hope it does grow back. My friend had a ginger cat with no tail, everyone thought he was a Manx cat. He used to sit on the post office scales so no one could weigh their post!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope that his tail recovers and the fur grows back soon. Good to be reminded that tails are precious!
    Fingers crossed for his speedy recovery.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor rupert and poor you. Hope he makes a speedy recovery very soon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no! Poor Rupert! I pray his tail will be wagging again in no time. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete