Wednesday, 23 April 2014

UNKNOWN MOTH and SEWING


Yesterday we noticed this beautiful moth trying to disguise its self on the fence. 


I don't know what it is but maybe countrysidetales found here http://countrysidetales.blogspot.co.uk/ will be able to tell us.
This morning is had gone.


Meanwhile I am still sewing. I'm making a top and as I haven't made myself an item of clothing for   years I find I'm really enjoying it.


Rouleau ties, bit tricky as the fabric is georgette and it slips about, but here they are ready for machining.


I'm making good use of my overlocker/serger.  Remember, I bought it for £2.00 last year in the car boot.
It didn't come with any instructions so its been a bit of a lesson learning how to thread it and finish off.
I was pulling the fabric away when I had finished sewing like you do on an ordinary sewing machine and it wasn't working, but have found out that you need to keep sewing for about 5 inches forming a chain and then cut it off, so neatening the seams is a dream.


15 comments:

  1. I don't what the moth is, but can find out for you my friend gives lectures on Butterflies and moths.
    You sewing looks good
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moth is beautiful,it reminds me of a shell.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool surger... looks professional to me... that is some moth. never seen one like it... looks almost like a mushroom..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your serger sewing machine, what a lucky find for so cheap... Your stitching looks very professional.
    I've never seen a moth like that before. Interesting.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I double clicked and got duplicate comments.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cant give a name to the moth but its a very beautiful one isnt it?
    My mum has given me an overlocker but I dont know how to work it and there are no instructions either. I dont do much sewing but am feeling very inspired by the sewers in blogland who are all busy creating lovely clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Briony,

    Your mystery moth is a Waved Umber.

    You are very clever making your own clothes- I am hopeless at anything like that :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Countryside Tales!
    A Waved Umber - a beautiful name as well as a beautiful moth.

    Briony - I hope you see this lovely moth again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like a great job matching the seams and I know the feeling of slipper fabric that is hard to deal with! cute moth we get them a lot where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your overlocker was a very good find and a very useful item to have. Top looks like its coming on a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to see it when you are done! The moth does look very fancy and special.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a fascinating looking moth. It looks more like fungus.
    Good job with the serger. It looks very professional

    ReplyDelete
  14. not seen a moth like that before. Well done to learn how to thread the overlocker without instructions, that was a good buy, I have one but it is very rare I use it

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just popped back to find the name of that amazing moth!

    ReplyDelete