Tuesday, 13 May 2014

HOW DID WE SURVIVE




 



CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and Early 80's !!! First, you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints. You had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes, you had no helmets, not to mention, the risks you took hitchhiking .. As children, you would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun. You drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle. You shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this. You ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but you weren't overweight because...... YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!! You would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach you all day. And you were OK. You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out you forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, you learned to solve the problem . You did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them! You fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents you played with worms(well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen, you did not poke out any eyes. You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them! Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. You had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
 
 



20 comments:

  1. Ahhh so true!!!! I did it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all totally true! And look at today, so many kids are gang members, school shootings, drugs. We grew up in a golden age. You are right, I played outside till dark, then came in. There seemed to be no child predators and no crime, except for the occasional bank robbery. Now gone with the wind forever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. I so agree, it was good to be reminded, thank you.
    Pam in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, memories! I did all that, even played with worms,,,and broke my leg in an 'adventure park',,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are all the better for it!
    I think we are also seeing the results of cotton wool kids now.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tell my daughter (new mom) this stuff and she just rolls her eyes. She can't believe we all lived through it. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we are also healthier and happier because we did all that. Children always seem to be unhappy with their lot these days (wow, I do sound old!) I feel quite sorry for them now...
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMEN!!!
    And if I ever had time to be bored and mentioned it to Mom, she found plenty of extra chores for me to do.
    We were lucky to have such risk-filled childhoods.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to ride in the back of my uncles van on an old bus seat which used to slide forward when he braked and sideways when going round corners. All great fun. No central heating,no bathroom etc. I didn't feel hard done by at all.
    I also remember chopping sticks so that I could light the fire too. A few treasured toys for Christmas and birthdays, not on a weekly basis like some kids get today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yes I remember those great times, we would go into Blenheim park all day, remember once though being caught in a tremendous thunderstorm which was frightening without Mum and Dad, still dislike the thunder. I think we are a lot healthier than the youngsters too, all that fresh air, mud pies etc!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think i did about 90% of that. I remember I used to ride my bike down a steep hill seeing how far I could get without putting the brakes on. I used to go out with my friends after school, bike riding, playing in each others houses and there were a few of us who used to play on a disused army rang seeing if we could jump off a high wall without injury (nobody ever got injured btw). Great days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is a amazing we survived isn't it....lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said, Briony. I was talking to a mum the other day who has a 7 year old son who, in the morning when dropped off at school, likes to chase a 7 year old girl around the playground. She loves it, apparently, but her mum asked his mum to stop him from chasing her daughter in case she fell over. Eh? Bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was in the Guides and we carried penknives on our belts. No-one got stabbed though and we weren't looking to do anything nasty. The thought never entered our heads. My friend and I also slid downstairs on a tea tray. That was fun. We swam in the sea and floated about on car tyres in rough water. The ice on our school playground stayed there and we made slides and slid down (I tended to fall down.) There was an iron climbing frame in the school playground with, wait for it ---- concreted underneath, yet we had some great times on it. The loos were outside and we went out of the classrooms, by ourselves to go to the loo. The gates of the playground weren't locked. We walked to school and back home, by ourselves, twice a day. We also played conkers, marbles and chase properly.
    I could go on but you know, don't you.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Briliiant , I was born1934 and ended up as he eldest of 6 children .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, there's something to be said for the good ol' days. We were always running the streets until those streetlights came on. Definitely drank water from the hose as a young'un. Never had video games. The only game I played was Ms Pacman at the local arcade. Used to take the crusts off white bread and then roll it into a cigar shape before eating it while watching the Flintstones. Ha! Now awaydays, all we see is the tops of heads because everyone, and I mean everyone, is caught up in their little handheld device. Even worse, while they are driving which really burns me up. If you need to talk on your phone, do it on your couch at home, not in your car. I think so many have their priorities messed up now. Wishing you a wonderful weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty much did all of that. Wouldn't have changed a moment. The only thing I would add is that there were less cars when I was riding my bike up and down our road. I wish my children could experience that. Your list of activities made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The swing suspended from the branch that hung over the road. Worm sandwiches (not me, a cousin - still alive.) Cleaned the grates out and lit fires in them from an early age (house still standing). Sent to turn off the electric fencer on the farm in the middle of thunder and lightening. Milked cows. Climbed on top of the hay trailer.
    And most of yours, of course.
    Happy Days!

    ReplyDelete