Tuesday, 2 June 2015

POORLY WILLOW


Here's Willow, she doesn't get in the blog much as she's an inoffensive cat who likes to keep to herself but for the last few days she's been trundled to the vets 3 times with  a unrine infection.

After noticing her making frequent visits to the litter tray and only doing tiny spots we took her to  the vet on Friday and after examinations we came home with antibiotics and a pain killer and £70.77 worse of in our pockets.
Saturday we were so worried that we took her back and were reassured that everything was normal and to wait and see. This was a young locum vet and I had no confidence in her, Willow was very agitated and she didn't cope well.
 Another £29.17.
There was no change on Sunday and so we went again on Monday and saw another vet.  What a difference.  This vet was soooooo wonderful that I wanted to sing her praises to everyone we met.  She was so reassuring and magical with Willow it was entrancing to see her work.
Willow was coaxed out of the basket (the other vet told me to tip her out) and she sat relaxed on the table with just the vets hand gently laid on top of her.
Another £38.73 but I think she's on the mend. 
No frequent visits to the tray today and she is a lot brighter thank goodness as the next step would have been blood tests and xray's and the cost would have been around £500.
 Why oh why are vets fees so high ????

18 comments:

  1. poor baby, hope she is all better now. Vets cost as much or more than people docs. Baby's urinary tract infection cost us 129.00... glad you got the right vet. we like one doc better than the other at our vet, so i make the appointment with the one we like..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Briony

    Sorry to read about Willow. One of my rescue cats had this problem and it cost so much in vets fees. It can often reoccur. I found the best solution in the end was to stop all dried food to ensure she was getting enough liquids. I slowly re-introduced some crunchies but half the amount she had before. Hope this advise helps. I have lost a lot of trust in vets over the years especially since they even caused one of my cat's to go permanently blind :( Some are definitely better than others - those who truly love animals, rather than just the status and money that comes from being a vet!

    Best wishes, Rosie (cat lover/cat slave born and raised in Brighton)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your comment Rosie, I am in Brighton also. The food issue is a mine field, some vets advise dry some wet but I shall keep Willow on mostly wet from now on, this is her second urinary infection. The vets name was Ana Marques and I swear she had some kind of gift, she was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor Willow.I soooo miss having a cat but they do bring their worries.I hope she is on the mend and back to her normal self soon.Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Rosie's comment and would advise that you add more moist food to the diet and get the cats off dry as much as you can.My cats only get dry as a treat - maybe ten kibbles a day. Other than that it is soft food and lots of water. If your cat really loves the dry then add a bit of warm water each time and make a gravy with that. Dry food causes a lot of health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little thing I hope she is back to her normal self soon.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Willow. It is so distressing when a pet is unwell. I do hope she is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness she's feeling better. Some vets are complete naturals aren't they? xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that she is much better soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Willow, sorry she had such a bad weekend. Glad she's feeling better. I wish I knew the answer to why vets are so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad your second vet did much better and that you cat is feeling better too! Our pets are so good to us and glad you were able to return the favor with care :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad that Willow is doing better and I hope the sweet girl will be fully recovered soon. Some vets seem to do their job only because of the money, not because they love animals. It's good that you finally found a caring one. Please give Willow some belly-rubs from me :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. poor Willow she does look sorry for herself. Good to hear she is now on the mend and I am sure will soon be fully fit, Vets fees are so very high, not sure how they justify what they chargeo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just saw this post. Hoe Willow is OK
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soo glad Willow is on the mend! Give her a fuss from me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm pleased to hear Willow is improving. It's always so horrible when they are ill. Finding a good vet is so important. We've been with our current ones for years, but there are still some we would ask to see, rather than others.
    Hope she continues to improve and is back to her normal self very soon.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  17. poor Willow. I hope she feels much better soon.x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor Willow, get well soon little one.
    This issue of vets fees is an interesting one. I suppose one might argue that Vets train for longer than Doctors do and are available 24 hours a day when needed. I had to wait 6 weeks to see my GP!
    Anyway I hope Willow is on the mend now.

    ReplyDelete