Saturday, 22 October 2016

FIRST PATCHWORK QUILT I MADE, KIPPER AND PADDY STILL MISSED.


Looking through some old photographs I came across these piccy's of the first patchwork quilt that I made back in the eighties.



This quilt was made entirely from cotton that was bought at jumble sales.  I stripped the items of clothing of the zips, buttons etc and cut the fabric into useable sizes,  sewn with all different colour cottons that I had at the time I still have this quilt, a bit faded and tatty but used for picnics etc. 


And here are Kipper and Paddy, brothers we had from kittens, huge cats but oh so loveable.
This photo is from 1987 so I guess they are still only young cats here.
I loved these two cats to bits and still get choked up when I look at the pictures.

9 comments:

  1. Your quilt is lovely and so is your bedside table cloth. I love it that you recycled fabrics that way. Patchwork was born of thrift and necessity after all.
    I can empathise with you about old photos. I miss Ellie every day, she died 3 years ago but I still love her and get teary when I see photos of them both when they were young. I think we'll both always feel that way and that's OK. Our animal friends leave their paw prints on our hearts x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely cats and their coats are so shiny. Great quilt as well. I miss Kath's blogs I used to follow her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty quilt, Briony. Your have quite a talent. Kipper and Paddy, what charming names. They look like awesome cats; ones that deserve to be missed to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt pattern is so unusual, and the colors perfect for fall. I see you also made a matching table cover too! Kipper & Paddy were beautiful! And they were even up on the bed; you mush have given them a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beauty, both the quilt and the 2 cats. That is some achievement making that as your first quilt, I struggle with log cabin,not easy o keep the blcks perfectly straight. Also liking the cloth you have on the table

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty quilt that is. Beautiful cats too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilt! I do like the idea that it's upcycled, not made of brand new fabric cut and joined.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in awe with your thriftiness. What a fabulous project. Just how patchwork should be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are very good with your hands. Love the patterns.

    ReplyDelete