Monday, 2 January 2017

53 YEARS WED



Here we are again, it doesn't seem a year ago that I posted about our 52nd Wedding Anniversary but here we are now on our 53rd.

Just look at the tiny waist, what happened to that ??

My dress was home made by me and was heavy white brocade sprigged with lilly of the valley flowers, I put tiny bows (just about visible ) all down the back.
It was made on my Mum's old Singer treadle sewing machine.  That machine was a wonder, it sewed everything from silk to leather with no messing about, wish I still had it sometimes when I'm messing about with the thread, needle and tension of my modern one. 

Sadly the dress didn't last long as I put it into a cupboard and didn't realise that it was damp, it went mildew and I had to throw it away.  Never mind, it didn't affect anything as we are still together and happy all this time later and after the Granson's premonition looks likely we may make it to 63 years with a bit of luck. lol

7 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!! Time goes fast, we will have our 55 anniversary the end of February!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! I hope you celebrated in style. I love the description of your dress and the old sewing machine. I still have my Great Grandma's Singer in the attic. A handle turning type. I made all our curtains with it when we first moved in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!
    What a lovely dress! Those old Singer machines were great. I got my first electric Necchi right before I made my wedding dress, but before that I had the treadle Singer.
    I love that we lived in a time when young women made their own wedding dresses. It was a labor of love, literally.
    Hope you and Tom had a nice celebration. Here's to many more good years together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Beautiful dress. Today's machines have all the bells and whistles, but magnificent creations can be made without them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever you are to have made your own wedding dress. I am useless with the needle or even the machine.

    ReplyDelete