Tuesday, 6 October 2020

HE DID IT AGAIN

 I don't know if he has a small throat or if he's just careless when he eats but Tom pulled his stunt of choking at our evening meal tonight.

He's  done it a few times during our marriage, once on some Tom thumb drop sweets and again while eating fish and chips where the vinegar went down the wrong hole.

If you have ever witnessed anyone choking you will know what it's like to watch.

With Tom's lungs being pretty useless anyway doing the Heimlich Maneuver isn't really an option as I would probably kill him so I banged on his back and felt like a headless chicken not knowing quite what to do.

Luckily he finally managed to take a breath but I was in pieces I can tell you.

We are both sitting here now with a large Gin and Tonic trying to relax.

Life throws some situations at us doesn't it and always when we least expect them.

25 comments:

  1. That must’ve been very scary. Glad the outcome was good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary, isn't it? It happened to me once years ago, a mouthful of coffee went down the wrong way, I was choking so much I couldn't breathe. Husband panicked and tried to do the Heimlich thing on me, I thought he was going to break my ribs! My throat hurt for hours afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry this happened, Briony! *hugs* Are you sure Tom doesn't have something else going on, which is causing the muscles in his esophogus to not be responding to the stimulation to swallow? If it happens again, I do believe it warrants further testing. So scary! You both deserve your large gin & tonic. I'd be doing the same, my friend. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How scary, glad he is ok, and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed it does. Glad you both survived.XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SCARY! And you sure DID need a stiff drink afterward! People have died this way. I once swallowed a butterscotch drop the wrong way and could not breathe! Thankfully, it finally came flying out of my mouth, but I thought I was going to choke to death.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a horrible feeling to be the person that is choking and also to be the person that is watching it happen. It's totally frightening for both people. I once choked own a piece of Ruby Red Grapefruit it went down my throat and lucky for me Bob was standing in the kitchen when it happened and he did the Heimlich twice and on the second time the piece that was in my throat shot out and about four or five feet across the kitchen floor if I had been home alone I probably would have died. But since you can't do the heimlich that would be even more frightening

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh god, how scary for you both. It's an awful feeling to watch someone in a crisis like that. You feel so helpless. I'm glad he got through it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Briony we can't imagine how scary it is to feel helpless when Tom is in serious difficulty. Fem Energy might have a point about getting that checked. XXX to all furry cousins from Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a horrible experience for you both. The gin and tonics were well deserved. Hope all is well now.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very scary, hope you enjoyed your gin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That would be very scary for both of you. Glad it all worked out and I hope those gin and tonics helped calm the nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How scary for you both. Glad it ended well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An awful scare!!! Glad it was just a scare though and Tom is ok...and you too. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's awful, I witnessed first hand a gentleman sitting opposite me in a B&B choke on his toast. I was stuck behind bench seating so I shouted for a man near him to help. He was lent against pillar and thumped....nothing. Eventually the chest thrust was used and out can the toast. He sat down very calmly and finished his breakfast, I on the other hand was a bag of nerves🤦‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually cope really well with things like that but as he can't get his breath very well normally it made it worse. I think he does it to keep me on my toes. lol

      Delete
  16. That happened a lot to my elderly mother in latter years - once in a post office queue which thoroughly rattled everyone looking on. With her (and even occasionally with me) an intake of air can go down the wrong way and make you fight for breath. I find Fisherman's Friend lozenges helps restore the desperate need to splutter and calms you down until you can breathe again. Or a glass of water. But I agree it is ghastly to watch when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Addy, he's had several bouts over the years but I think you are right, old age comes into it, I often find myself swallowing and coughing and I'm only 74 years young, shouldn't be happening to me yet, should it?
      x

      Delete
  17. Chocking is scary, but I'm glad you two were able to sit back and start to relax with your g&t. ;-) Happy Fall ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Lord, how scary! Banging on the back was good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank heavens Tom survived this incident. What were you eating? Headless chicken I presume. Did you remember to remove the head? Tell him not to let this happen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gammon steak and peas but he could choke on a grain of rice. lol

      Delete
  20. Nasty. My oldest once choked on a piece of steak. Luckily my wife was there to do the necessary, otherwise it would have been 'goodnight'.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is scary watching someone choking. Dad has a bad habit of eating too-big pieces too fast, plus slouching when he eats, and now and then scares mom.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some people just aspirate more than others. I'm only 58 and I'm always choking on things and coughing, try to catch my breath. There are lots of different reasons for aspiration, mine is probably acid reflux. Has he been checked by a doc?

    ReplyDelete