Sunday, 22 September 2024

BACK AFTER A RATHER LONG BREAK

 It's been over 4 Months since I last posted on the blog.

Since Tom died things have taken a little getting used to and I've had my ups and downs.

Sadly I am down to only one cat now.  I lost Rupert a few months before Tom died and since he went three of the others have sadly had to go to sleep.

Willow was having fits and the last one was horrible to observe and I thought it kindest to let her go. Had she gone out and had a fit I may not have beene able to find her.

Then Princess's kidneys failed and it was kindest again to let her go, she was listless and not eating.

Then poor little Mummy Polly's back legs went and she was having a job to walk straight so another terrible decision had to be made.

So that leaves me with just Rowan who I'm sure misses the others.

She is 16 1/2 so I'm bracing myself for the final one to go and hoping its not too soon.

 She was never vocal but since they've gone she's done nothing but cry.

I feel as though slowly everthing is being taken away.   I am getting less and less mobile with arthritis but maybe this is just what happens with old age. lol

I am still fairly happy with life though and enjoying my crochet, reading, and all the other things that can be done from a chair.

Let's hope I can get down to some regular posts.

Briony

x

22 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your fur babies. We've lost 3 of ours in the past 5 years. It never gets easier does it? Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Briony, so glad to see a post from you. I know I'm not a regular commentor... but I do read your posts. You've been through a lot... can't imagine how difficult. I'm very lucky that my DH is still around and wouldn't know what to do otherwise. And we lost our last 3 cats during the pandemic... the last one was so awful (her jaws were locked and she couldn't eat - Vets couldn't find the reason - so she basically wasted away while we tried for a month to feed her with syringes, etc.) It was awful and I won't go through that again - no more pets. It hurts too much. I hope you have Rowan for a few more years. And if you can, continue blogging. I think it helps to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad to see you posting, but sorry you have had so many losses. It’s very hard to deal with so much in so short a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been in the situation previously with all of our cats nearly the same age and leaving us in quick succession. My darling Teasel is 16--and like me, she is moving more slowly. Those who don't have cat companions would likely think J. and I spend too much times fussing over our tribe, talking to them and about them, but there it is.
    We were recently presented with a cast-off kitten, rescued by our son. We protested that a kitten might outlive us, but she is with us, growing sleek and healthy, terrorizing the 'big cats', turning the house upside down.
    This business of growing old--for us and for our dear pets, has unexpected challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was only thinking the other day that I hadn't seen a post form you for a while. I'm so sorry to read about your cats, its so hard to say goodbye to them but when they are suffering it's the kindest thing. I lost my two cats within 8 months of each other and It still upsets me when photos of them pop up.
    Poor Rowen, he must mis them terribly, you never know, he could go on for a good few years yet.
    Glad you are still managing to enjoy your crafts, they do help us through so much and it's good to keep busy.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Briony I'm so sorry to read that your fur family has reduced so dramatically so fast and just when you really needed the constancy of having them around. Poor Rowan too who has spent all her life with her siblings. Deepest sympathy to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Briony, I'm glad to see a post from you, but so sorry to hear about your feline family members. It sounds like you did the responsible thing with all of them, as hard as it must have been. Enjoy your time with Rowan -- she may miss her clan, but then again, she may be happy to have you all to herself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am so very sorry!! I just cannot even imagine what you have been going through. Many blessings to you, my friend. Our cat Simba recently passed, he was having bad trouble with not being able to walk with his back legs, like your Polly. Sending so much love to you!! We are all getting older, and it is so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand how you feel, I lost both my cats this year, there is a huge hole in our lives, but a new kitten is on her way. It's now the season for reading, sewing, knitting or crochet, glad to see your post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear your news - it must seem like one awful thing after another for you. It is such a hard decision, even when you know it is the right thing to do. I hope that you will re-discover some enjoyment in the little things in life, like your crafting. Getting older is not easy; yes, you have all that knowledge and experience, but the body becomes much more temperamental.
    Take care and make sure you give yourself some treats - that is very important!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to hear your grief is now magnified by 5. My heart hurts for your heart, prayers, hugs and love coming to you.. I am glad you can still crochet and do the things you like to do, and that you still have Rowan, I feel so bad for Rowan missing his siblings and daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear about all your loss. That's a lot to deal with in such a short amount of time. The decision to let a furbaby go is never an easy one even though it's what is best for them.
    Having hobbies like the crocheting is good to keep your mind occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have my sympathies for the loss of Tom and your cats. I'm glad you are staying positive and still enjoying life and I hope you'll resume posting. All the best and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back Briony! I have missed you - your kind nature and your upbeat attitude. Sorry to hear the cat news for I know how much both you and Tom loved them. Let's hope that Rowan remains your furry companion for a few years more.

    It can't be easy living with arthritis in a large first floor flat. Have you considered moving out and would that even be possible?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's hard to have to say goodbye to so many of your cats after Tom died. I hope Rowan decides to stay for a bit longer. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just caught up with you, Briony. What a horrible sad time you have had. Glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sad to read of all your losses dear lady. My heart goes out to you. So lovely to have you back though. Sending you big hugs and looking forward to reading your new posts. Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Briony, just thought I would see if you are around. I am having the same with my cats, all being the same age they are dropping off one by one. I have decided when they have all gone I won't be having any more. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice to see you posting again. I was worried. I so sorry you've lost so many of your 4 legged family. I'm sure it's been heart wrenching for you. Praying for you and rowan. I hope things calm down for you soon. You've been through so much these past two years.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I somehow lost touch with your blog due to a technical issue and have just found you again. So sorry to hear about Tom. I know more than anyone what it is like to lose your partner. Grief will come in waves but just ride them as best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so sad to read this, and hope that you can find some kind of comfort knowing that all your loved ones (furry and human) all had such precious times with you. Unfortunately, as we all know, but have to learn each time anew in such a hard way, loss comes with love. From all the cats I love and look after, I have learnt (directly from their example), we must enjoy each enjoyable moment and make the most of them because we don't know what will happen next. The cats love each simple pleasure and can't project into the future, unlike us, who can and therefore tend to spoil these by thinking ahead and worrying (sadly often with reason). Could you maybe offer a foster arrangement to a cat in order to give company to your lovely remaining cat? Wishing you love. XXXX

    ReplyDelete