Monday, 3 November 2025

RETURN OF THE FOX

 The last home visit from the fox was in May and he hasn't been in since.

But a few nights ago as I was sitting on my computer he snuck in again without me noticing, I was engrossed in something or another.

When I finally looked up, there he was at the top of the landing looking down at me.


You can just see the corner of the desk where I was sitting and the top of the stairs where he was sitting looking at me.
Just shows you how stealthy they are, he was silent. 
Excuse the stair lift and walker. lol  
necessary these days.
He was a beauty, very large and in good shape.
I shouted and he ran out.
Matt has a theory that it could be the same one that came in before only now he's fully grown.
I think this is likely as there are other foxes in the area and they will rush out of the gate as soon as the back door is opened. 
 
So it's locked cat flap all the time now and poor little Rowan is limited to sitting looking out of the flap  only when I'm in the kitchen.
 
It doesn't bother me that he comes in and if I was sure he wouldn't poo or spray I wouldn't mind but I can't risk that as the smell would take ages to get rid of.
 
I know this sounds made up but I can assure you it is'nt. 
 
Briony




13 comments:

  1. I've never had a cat flap installed as we've always had 'outdoor cats' who didn't have house manners, also usually neighborhood ferals. Interesting to have a fox appearing at the head of the stairs, but not as a regular visitor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very special to have a fox visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful visit! I read this aloud to Phil, and we both laughed. So he is coming in through the cat door!! There must be a den nearby. I adore foxes, they are so smart and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a little miracle right there - how amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special visit. Especially since he did no harm while he was there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you were referring to an hallucination brought on by magic mushrooms but you meant it literally! I guess that one day foxes will be living in our houses while we root around in gardens and dustbins, desperately trying to find things to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe you.... a lot of wild animals are not so wild anymore living so close to us humans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to find you back posting. I had given up checking on you!! Hope you are well ( apart from the arthritis that is!) Not sure I would like a fox in the house, and the dog certainly wouldn't . Have a lovely Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's exactly what would happen if I had some sort of pet door. All kinds of critters would be inside the house & I prefer them outside. *lol* Be careful of fleas & other things that can be brought into the house, Briony, and transferred to you or your kitty. Much love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This gave me the biggest smile. A fox just casually at the top of the stairs like he owns the place. They really are bold, aren’t they. I can just picture you looking up and there he is, perfectly calm. Do you think it really is the same one all grown up and confident now? He must remember your house as the friendly stop on his evening rounds. And how on earth does he get in so quietly every time? I don’t blame you for locking the cat flap though. Some things are charming until there’s a smell involved. Poor little Rowan must be wondering why the world is suddenly on view-only mode. What a story. Only you could have a fox dropping by like an old neighbour. Wishing you a peaceful and fox-free weekend. I’ve just shared a new travel post too, you’re warmly invited to have a read when you can: www.melodyjacob.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to feed my regular visiting Fox, but he/she always left a small pile of poo as a thank you (outdoors luckily). I shan't feed them again until the winter.

    ReplyDelete