Yesterday we went to M&S food hall, mainly because the cafe that is attached is just a few steps from the disabled car park and Tom is able to get there
Once I've got him seated I take a quick look around the shop and buy the paper that we share read while having our coffee.
As I went passed one of the end cabinets I spotted a nice piece of lamb.
Picked it up to see how much it was and nearly fell to the floor.
I spoke to another lady who was nearby and asked her to confirm that I was not seeing things.
But no, I wasn't imagining it, just look at the price of this piece of meat.
£35 per Kilo.
Does anyone actually buy meat at this price?
I'm guessing they must or M&S wouldn't bother putting out for sale.
And let's face it, the actual size of the meat after it shrinks during cooking will only be a small amount, most of it is bone.
So glad I am vegetarian and at least if veggies ever reach those prices I could grow my own! I take it lamb is off your menu for today!
ReplyDeleteCrikey!
ReplyDeleteWe got a big leg of lamb from Asda for Easter Sunday, paid £28, which was enough, we expect lamb to be more expensive as Easter gets closer. We don't buy huge joints of meat often, just too expensive. Hope you have gotten over the shock.
ReplyDeleteThat's the sort of price I'd expect for beef handraised the way the Japanese do it! I thought we were moderately well off but we couldn't afford to eat that.
ReplyDeleteYes, meat is horribly expensive but especially lamb, for whatever reason. It's expensive here too. We buy a quarter cow once a year & that's the primary source of meat for us. It went up this past June because of grain prices going up and also the processing prices too. Can't expect the farmer to just absorb all that increase. So I suspect that's what has happened with your lamb too. I usually serve prime rib on Christmas and it went from $12.99/lb to $18.99/lb this past year. I was flabbergasted because I usually just order it and never ask the price... because the price is usually consistent from one year to the next. Imagine my surprise when I picked it up & walked to the cashier. ~Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteIt's the same here in the U.S. I just priced a few pieces of meat online and it was ridiculous. I would never spend that amount on a piece of meat. Thankfully we don't eat a lot of it.. mostly chicken, ground meat, and some fish. Less red meat is probably healthier anyway. At this rate, we might all be healthier as no one will be buying much meat.
ReplyDeleteMeat has really gone up in price! That's crazy and makes me want to be a vegetarian, except fresh veggies are expensive too!
ReplyDeleteThat is mad! but M&S food is always more expensive than anywhere else, just out of curiosity I'm going to see how much it is in Lidle when I go shopping tomorrow.
ReplyDeletei was shocked at myself for paying 19 pounds for a ham yesterday 27 dollars in US money. this lamb is just wow. can't imagine it.
ReplyDeleteGoodness! Well, the price of meat has really gone up. We recently bought a roast for about $22.00. I justified the price because we got four meals out of it. We have never been able to even find lamb around here!!!
ReplyDeleteChuffin heck that was a shock. When I did eat meat, about 40 years ago I used to get a leg of lamb. I'm glad I gave it up.
ReplyDeleteOh my word. That is crazy. Everything is getting unbelievably expensive lately.
ReplyDeleteBecause we eat Keto we rely on meat a lot. Here in the USA it was the same just for a short while. Probably because no one is going to buy at that price and a lot of meat had to be thrown away !!
ReplyDeleteGood grief.
ReplyDeleteUm, I think the label says beef.
ReplyDeleteOuch! That is crazy! Prices like that put anyone off eating meat! Amanda x
ReplyDeleteI took a photo of some meat, too. The price was astounding, and as you say, it shrinks down to so little!
ReplyDeleteYou may be looking at beef rib not lamb...........still pricey though. Nice to hear that you both got out and you probably needed a hot sweet drink to recover from the shock.
ReplyDeleteThat IS a crazy price -- but I think that's a piece of beef, not lamb. (At least based on what I can read on the sticker.) Maybe the price makes a little more sense for beef?
ReplyDelete(I don't do our grocery shopping so I have no idea what things cost!)
Last September, for my daughter's birthday, I shelled out a lot of money for a leg of lamb reared in The Hope Valley in Derbyshire. It was a beautiful joint and as big as the M&S one you showed. It cost me £24. Exactly half the M&S price.
ReplyDelete